Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pioneer Trek


















I am so thankful that my parents gave us the opportunity to join them on their ward Trek. It was a lot of work to get ready for but well worth it. It was a 7 hour drive out to Wyoming. We went to the Willie Handcart site. This is where they got stopped by an early winter storm and where they stopped to die. They were rescued but not before a lot of lives were lost. It was so neat to take my girls with me so we could all have a small experience like the pioneers. Of course we had great shoes, good clothing, plenty of food, and it only lasted for 8 hours. It wasn't even as hard as they had it and it was still hard. I realized how extremely spoiled and fortunate I am. I also got the opportunity to feel the spirit whisper the truthfulness of the gospel to me. It truly was a great learning experience. On the other hand the kids might have been just a little too young. They truly didn't understand what we were there for and as one of my kids said " Grandma why are they torturing us." I hope they can look back and see it for the neat experience it was.

3 comments:

Just Me said...

How fun!!... Granny hardly looks like a granny!!.

Lisa Marie said...

Torture, that's hilarious! I want to go on a trek. They did it the year before I got into YW and the year after. Boo!

Bethany said...

I am so jealous!! I wish we could do it! What a great expericance for your family! Such great memories.